Social Relevance | Like-Mindedness is the New Proximity
- People today are connected: 1) 1.000.000.000 are online; 2) 400.000.000 are sharing billions of pieces of data; 3) 4.000.000.000 own cell phones; 4) half of all new purchases are for smart phones.
- Impact on consumers: 1) 91% say consumer content is #1 aid in buying decisions; 2) 87% trust friends' advice over a critic's review; 3) 50% Twitter % Facebook users have recommended a brand; 4) 40% have "liked" a
brand on Facebook; 5) One word-of-mouth conversation is worth 2000 TV ads.
- Business response: 1) 86% of companies have 2-3 employees working at least partly with social media; 2) 2.500 best buy employees are helping people on Twitter; 3) Corporate social media budgets increasing:
$716.000.000 (2008); $3.100.000.000 (2014); 4) After 23 years Pepsi dropped Super Bowl ads to invest 20 million in social media campaigns.
Case Study: HCC Media insurance Services Social Strategy
- Schedule fun, yet educational conversations with their online community; Promote company news via press releases and blog posts; Use keyword alerts to respond to sales opportunities; Apply proven techniques from
traditional call center marketing to social conversations; Use social conversations to meet customers’ needs in their mediums; Monitor brand mentions to address any potential customer issues.
- HCCMIS online issues response plan: 1) Social monitoring; 2) Assessment; 3) Customer complaint response; 4) Resolve & checkup.
- HCCMIS campaign success: 1) Social influence increased by 227% in one quarter; 2) Referral traffic from Facebook up 37% in one quarter; 3) Referral traffic from LinkedIn up 42% in one quarter; 4) Corporate
Twitter, page rank = 5.
- A few social media best practices: 1) Use effective language. Readability grade levels. Flesch-Kincaid grade (keys: retweets, tweets) - retweets 6.5, tweets 5.2; 2) Post at peak times (keys: retweets, tweets) - retweets
(12am - 4%, 6am - 1.5%, 12pm - 6%, 6pm - 5.5%, 11pm - 4%), tweets (12am - 4%, 6am - 3%, 12pm - 3.5%, 6pm - 4.2%, 11pm - 4%); 3) Average # of Twitter followers (keys: blog, no blog): blog - 355, no blog -
Resources: 1) People are connected: march 2011 http:/www.jeffbullas.xom/2010/-4/05/12-key-findings-on-social-media%E2%80%99s-impact-on-business-and-decision-making-by-ceos-and-managers; 2) Impact on
consumers: March 2011 http:/www.slideshare.net/DigitalInfluence/business-impact-of-social-media; 3) Business response: March 2011 http:/blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/5965/the-ultimate-list-300-social-
media-statistics.aspx; 4) Business response: April 2011 http:/www.slideshare.net/UsefulSocialMedia/the-state-of-corporate-socail-media-20111-briefing-extract; 5) Case Study: Jennifer Grappone and Gradiva Couzin.
Search Engine Optimization An Hour A Day Third Edition. Indianapolis, Indiana and Canada: Wiley Publishing Inc., 2011; 6) Social media best practices: April 2011 http:/www.problogger.net/archives/2010/12/06/whens-
the-best-time-to-publish-blog-posts; 7) Social media best practices: Apri 2011 http:/www.slideshare.net/HubSpot/marketing-charts-graphsdataapril2010slideshare.