The Social CRM Arms Race: A Timeline
The past two weeks have been a flurry of purchasing activity for CRM giants salesforce.com and Oracle. In that time, the two companies have purchased 3 social media companies between them, amounting to an
investment of almost $2 billion in the social space. However, these acquisitions have been part of a much larger string of social media purchases over the last year. Let's take a look at the moves that have been made to
make a true social CRM a reality.
- 2011 Jan. 6. $31 million. DimDim web conferencing. DimDim offers a robust tool for scheduling online web conferencing. This acquisition added a new dimension of social collaboration to salesforce.com's offerings.
- 2011 Feb. 1. $30 million. do.com social task management. So is a social productivity app for teams to collaboratively create and share tasks, notes and projects. This acquisition added both mobile and social task
management for saleforce.com.
- 2011 Mar. 30. $326 million. Radian6 social analytics. Radian6 is an industry leader in social analytics, offering social media monitoring tool, social media engagement software and social CRM and marketing.
- 2011 Jun 21. FatWire Software (not disclosed). fatWire experience management. FatWire is a leading provider of web experience management solutions. Oracle and FatWire together expect to provide the most
complete web experience management solution.
- 2011 Jun. 28. Inquira (not disclosed). Inquira knowledge management. Inquira empowers Oracle customers with social media tools to encourage community interaction that drives loyalty and extends the company's
- 2011 Sep.21. Desk.com. $50 million. Desk.com social support. Desk.com allows companies to connect with their customers on Facebook and Twitter as easily as on traditional support channels like email, phone and
- 2011 Oct. 24. RightNow. $1.5 billion. RightNow social experience. RightNow is designed for companies to extend the customer experience to the places where consumers are learning, sharing and buying across the
- 2011 Nov. 14. Model Metrics (not disclosed). Model Metrics social cloud. Model Metrics provides mobile and social cloud consulting services. Model Metrics is meant to "add mobile and social expertise" to
salesforce.com's current offerings the company says.
- 2011 Dec. 15. Rypple (not disclosed). rypple social performance. Rypple helps great teams work better together with social software for ongoing recognition, feedback and coaching. It will add a social dynamic to team
based salesforce.com products.
- 2012 Feb.9. Taleo X ($1.9 billion). Taleo social talent management. Oracle and Taleo expect to create a comprehensive cloud offering for organizations to manage their Human Resource operations and employee
careers. Taleo offers cutting edge social recruitment tools.
- 2012 Mar. 23. Vitrue - We Make Brands Social ($300 million). Vitrue relationship management. Vitru provides a social relationship management platform that gives brands and agencies the tools and technology they
need to execute their social marketing strategies.
- 2012 May 12. Stypi (not disclosed). Stypi social document creation. Stypi is a real time, cloud based editor that allows multiple users to make changes to a single document at the same time.
- 2012 Jun. 5. Buddy Media - Every Brand Needs A Buddy ($689 million). Buddy Media social enterprise. Buddy Media provides a robust suite of products that allow major brands to build and maintain social
relationships that will develop and accelerate their business.
- 2012 Jun. 6. Collective Intellect (not disclosed). Collective Intellect real i=time analytics. Collective Intellect provides analytics and reporting to identify, record and optimize key social media performance indicators.
- Oracle. Estimated amount spent - 0.5 bln.
- Saleforce.com. Estimated amount spent - 0.3 bln.
Pardot - Marketing Automation | For more industry news and marketing tips, visit Pardot.com/blog.