Friends With Benefits: How Social Partnerships Affect Brand Engagement
For those who aren't aware, Instagram has dropped support for twitter cards, which allow Instagram photos to be viewed within Twitter's newsfeed. many people thought this decision would severely affect Instagram photo
engagement, but the only thing it's actually hurt is Twitter engagement. Go figure.
- Twitter users used to see Instagram photos within Twitter's interface.
- Now, Twitter users have to click through to Instagram to view Instagram photos.
- Previously, Instagram was driving traffic to Twitter via photo content.
- Now Twitter is driving traffic to Instagram, because content is now living in the Instagram environment.
Cause and effect
- You can imagine that this significantly altered experience would hurt Instagram, but according to Simply Measured, Twitter seems to be the only one suffering.
- Data gathered from the 100 Top Brands on Instagram: 1) Percentage of photos posted to each site: Twitter - 59%; Facebook - 98%; 2) Engagement per photo: Twitter - 22 engagement measured by @replies and retweets; Facebook:
274 engagement measured by likes and comments; 3) Quarter-over-quarter change: Twitter: ↓17%; Facebook: ↑30%.
* Users can choose whether to post to twitter or Facebook.
- Instagram dropped Twitter card support in mid-December. Since then, Instagram photo engagement on Twitter has been trending at its lowest levels since August 2012.
What does this mean for brands?
- How do all these changes affect brand engagement on Instagram?
- Engagement with the brands on Instagram grew by 35% in the past 3 months.
- Brand Instagram follower count grew by 21% over the last 3 months.
Time to adjust your strategy
- While Twitter photo engagement seems to be trending downward, it is still a vital platform being used to reach consumers.
- #1 Make sure you are tracking engagement metrics across all platforms to find key areas of opportunity.
- #2 Upload pictures to twitter directly on the platform instead of using Instagram.
- #3 Use Instagram when posting pictures to Facebook.
- It is evident that social partnerships, like Twitter and Instagram, are constantly evolving. These platforms are focused on how to present content in the most engaging way and to benefit their user base.
- So, while twitter may be suffering in terms of Instagram photo engagement, you can be that they are aware of the problem and seeking solutions that will fulfill the consumers' needs.
Created by Column Five | Sources: Simply Measured; CNET, Instagram's Anti-Twitter Policy; Kills Engagement - on Twitter.