History Of Instagram
Timeline: A brief history of Instagram
- #1 October 6, 2010: Launched in Apple's App Store.
- #2 January 2011: Added hashtags to help users discover both photos and each other.
- #3 September 2011: Version 2.0 went live in the App Store (iOS).
- #4 February 2, 2011: Raised $7 million in Series A from variety of investors, including these four: 1) Jack Dorsey; 2) Adam D'Angelo; 3) Chris Sacca (through Capital Fund); 4) Benchmark Capital.
- #5 April 3, 2012: Available for Android OS.
- #6 April 12, 2012: Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion.
- December 2010: 1 million.
- June 2011: 5 million.
- September 2011: 15 million.
- April 2012: 30 million.
- Kevin Systrom (Chief Executive) and Mike Krieger (Co-Founder).
- Josh Riedel (Community Manager).
- Shayne Sweeney (Engineer - November 2010).
- Jessica Zollman (Community Evangelist - August 2011).
"This is an important milestone for Facebook because it's the first time we've ever acquired a product and company with so many users. We don't plan on doing many more of these, if any at all. But providing the best photo sharing
experience is one reason why so many people love Facebook and we knew it would be worth bringing these two companies together" - Mark Zuckerberg.
References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/instagram; http://gigaom.com/2012/04/09/here-is-why-did-facebook-bought-instagram.