How Businesses Use Social Media
57% - percentage of small businesses that use social media...
- Which social channels have allowed SMEs to grow their business the most?
18% - Facebook.
13% - LinkedIn.
13% - Company Blog.
- Another study investigated social media spend as a percentage of digital budget.
< 5% - key observations, 5% - 10% - social media will begin to take up a meaningful share of digital budgets for many companies, 10% - 20%, > 20% - overall digital budgets are also showing, suggesting a substantial uptick in spend in the coming years.
Today (<5% - 67%, >20% - 7%, 10% - 20% - 5%, 5% - 10% - 22%).
Three years time (<5% -13%, >20% -7%, 10% - 20% - 27%, 5% - 10% -32%).
Which social channels are they using the most for business purposes?
- Facebook - 19%.
- LinkedIn - 14%.
- Twitter - 4%.
- Other - 15%.
Why do they use social media?
- All the time - 12%.
- When they have the time - 25%.
How often do they use social media?
- Harness social media to improve search engine optimisation or natural search - 7%.
- Improve their customer service - 11%.
- Boost sales - 15%.
- Increase brand awareness - 27%.
6% mainly use social media to generate sales (small, 10-49 employees).
21% mainly use social media to generate sales (medium, 50-249 employees).
Why is social media important for your business?
- 53% of adults who use social networks follow a brand.
- Nearly 4 in 5 active Internet users visit social networks & blogs
- Social networks & blogs now account for nearly a quarter of total time spent on the Internet.
Building their personal brand. 14% don't separate personal from professional use of social media.
Hiscox commissioned research with Opinium Research among 305 owners, partners and senior decision makers from UK SMEs with 1 to 249 employees between May 18 and June 1, 2011. "Booz & Company/Buddy Media Campaigns to Capabilities Social Media & Marketing 2011 Survey results", The Nielsen Company.