Small Businesses and Social Media
Social media usage
- 27% use Facebook.
- 18% use LinkedIn.
- 8% use blogs.
- 8% use location based services.
- 7% use Twitter.
- 9% of small businesses said a social media expert would be the most helpful hire. Making it the 2nd most popular choice after bookkeeper.
Social media growth
- Social media adoption by small businesses has doubled from 2009 to 2010.
61% of small business owners now use social media to attract new customers.
75% have a company page on a social networking site.
45% expect their social media activities to be profitable within the next 12 months.
- The number of people who are visiting social media sites has increased by 24% over the last year.
Social media results
- Almost one half of small businesses have successfully connected with new customers through social networks.
- Meanwhile only 28% of larger companies and 36% of medium sized businesses have been successful at it as well.
- Gary Vaynerchuk, a social media fanatic, spent 12 hours a day. engaging in online markets which helped earnings for his father's quaint New Jersey-based liquor store from $4 M, through social media alone - $50 M.
Social media results
- If you're using social media sites like LinkedIn or Facebook, you're among the 46% of online adults in US.
- 51% of Facebook users, 64% of Twitter users are more likely to buy the brands they follow or are a fan of.
- 62% of adult US internet users watch videos on video sharing sites.
Activities achieved through social media sites:
- Small businesses received customer recommendations by:
Fans of Facebook - 69%.
Networking with colleagues on LinkedIn - 62%.
Customers following their business on Twitter - 44%.
- Small businesses received traffic to website by:
Facebook - 59%.
LinkedIn - 55%.
Twitter - 35%.
- Small businesses received sale leads through:
Facebook - 42%.
LinkedIn - 36%.
Twitter - 16%.
Accomplishments through social media:
Percentage of business owners.
- Stayed engaged with current customers (Twitter - 46%, LinkedIn - 65%).
- Became more aware of their company among the market (Twitter - 52%, LinkedIn - 64%).
- Gained new customers (Twitter - 61%, LinkedIn - 53%).
- Found more effective ways to collaborate externally (Twitter - 35%, LinkedIn - 33%).
- Found more ways to collaborate effectively internally (Twitter - 21%, LinkedIn - 18%)
The world's #1 marketplace for logos and graphic design.
Sources: http://wwwmassmailsoftware.com/blog/2010/10/social-mdia-and-small-business-statistics-2010-usage-acchievements-accomplishments, http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/news/releases/2010/021610.aspx, http://community.sba.gov/community/blogs/guest-blogs/industry-word/10-social-media-benchmark-statistics-how-are-you-doing, http://microbusiness.vistaprint.com/2011/small-business-social-media-statistics