How To Optimize Videos For Search Engines: A Starter Guide
Creating search engine friendly videos gives your business an additional way to show up in search results and attract new customers. Unlike text, search engines cannot read a video. Instead, you must focus on optimizing the text and
meta information in videos in order to rank. Key elements of video SEO: 1) File names; 2) Titles; 3) Descriptions; 4) Tags; 5) Categories; 6) Visibility. Each part is equally important in creating highly effective video optimization.
- #1 File name. When saving your video, choose a keyword file name (not the default time stamp assigned by the device).
- #2 Title. Craft an SEO optimized title for your video by using relevant keywords. be noticed for showing up first in search, not for forgetting to remove the file extension from your title.
- #3 Description. The key to optimizing your video description for search is including rich and relevant content. Don't forget to include a URL at the beginning of the description with the http:// prefix, otherwise it won't show up as a
link. Your description should be keyword rich and can include a full transcript of the video or a description of what it is about. Warning! Never, ever stuff keywords! It will only reflect upon you negatively. Keyword stuffing angers
search engines and confuses viewers.
- #4 Tags. Don't forget about tags. They allow you to add keywords that wouldn't fit into the description naturally. Tags should be 1-2 words, with each set separated by a comma.
- #5 Categories. Choosing a category groups your video in with similar videos. This expands the reach of your videos, allowing new viewers to discover them.
- #6 Visibility. Make sure your visibility is set to public. Otherwise, all of your optimization attempts will have been in vain!
Where to post your videos: YouTube; Vimeo; Viddler | YouTube may be the most popular video sharing site, but it isn't the only one | LocalVox - Local Online Marketing Made Simple | www.LocalVox.com.