Media And Entertainment Goes Mobile...
Smartphones and tablets are transforming the way consumers digest news, follow sports, and watch TV and movies.
- But are consumers satisfied with the experience? Satisfaction matters because it determines what consumers will do next. Satisfied customers are more likely to engage with your brand in any channel, are more likely to
engage with advertisers, and more likely to recommend your company and have greater loyalty. Media and Entertainment companies who listen to their customers will be best equipped to handle the rapidly changing wants,
needs, and expectations of today's mobile consumers. So how can you improve the mobile customer experience?
- Mobile experiences with media and entertainment fall into three categories: Content Streaming (TV and Movies), News, and Sports. Each category has strengths and weaknesses: 1) Content streaming (score: 80). The
best: iTunes. The runners up: HBO Go & NetFlix. Performance plays a role: Respondents who reported accessing content with their home Wi-Fi connection or a 4G connection had the highest satisfaction - but as the signal
degrades, so does the experience; 2) News (score: 79). The best: NBC News; Fox News. A matter of trust: Customers depend on news entities to deliver accurate, reliable, and thorough information. The most satisfied
users in this category reported placing a high degree of trust in the mobile site or app's content; 3) Sports (score: 79). The best: Fox Sports. Ads aren't always bad: Sports mobile sites and apps have the largest percentage
of users who frequently look at ads, and 18% felt ads enhanced their experience.
- The ForeSee Mobile Satisfaction Index analyzes the mobile site and app experience through the eyes of the consumer. This edition focuses exclusively on the 22 top US news, sports, and content streaming companies and
serves as a starting point for companies that want to benchmark their mobile performance against some of the best businesses in these categories. All scores are on a 100-point scale. Download the full report at
- Know your mobile users. How mobile are they (really)?: 1) Access news, sports and streaming content on mobile devices from home - 52%; 2) Do so while on-the-go - 9%. A great mobile experience doesn't have to
be designed for users on-the-go: those who access content from home report being more satisfied than those on the move.
- Do they prefer mobile sites or apps?: 1) Use mobile sites - 66%; 2) Mobile site satisfaction; 3) Use mobile apps - 34%; 4) Mobile app satisfaction - 78%. Although more respondents reported using mobile sites, app
users were more satisfied. A solid app experience can engage customers further than a mobile site, but prospective customers may not download your app if your mobile site leaves something to be desired. Focusing on
both can improve your brand's overall mobile experience to create truly loyal customers.
- Realize that stars don't align. App store ratings provide no direction or insight as to how you might improve your customer's mobile experience -usually only the most satisfied and the least satisfied users provide feedback,
leaving the silent majority underrepresented. An accurate, precise, and proven satisfaction measurement can provide insights into how to improve your mobile experience that simple ratings do not (keys: SAT; Apple rating,
Google rating): 1) Fox Sports (SAT - 79, Apple rating - 3.0, Google rating - 4.9); 2) CBS Sports (SAT - 75, Apple rating - 3.0, Google rating - 4.5); 3) CNN (SAT - 76, Apple rating - 4.0, Google rating - 4.0);
4) HBO Go (SAT - 79, Apple rating - 2.5, Google rating - 3.5).
- Understand what drives satisfaction and make improving IT a priority. The general elements of a mobile news and entertainment experience that drive satisfaction are: 1) Information. How thorough and how well the
mobile site or apps information answers user questions; 2) Functionality. The usefulness, convenience, and variety of features available to visitors; 3) Performance. Issues related to loading speed and site/app errors. The
ForeSee Mobile Satisfaction Index: Media and Entertainment Edition found Information is a top priority for news sites and apps, performance is a top priority for content streaming sites and apps, and both information and
functionality are top priorities for sports sites and apps. Download the full report at foresee.com.
- Highly satisfied users of mobile entertainment sites and apps are: 1) More likely to prefer your brand - 74%; 2) More likely to use your mobile site or app as a primary resource; 3) More likely to recommend your
mobile site or app - 72%; 4) More likely to use your mobile site or app again - 58%. The result: A winning mobile customer experience.
Move your company forward by providing a winning mobile customer experience. By listening to and meeting the needs and expectations of your customers, you'll be able to stay ahead of your competition in today's rapidly
evolving mobile landscape. All data from the ForeSee Mobile Satisfaction Index: Media and Entertainment Edition (2013). Download the full report at foresee.com | ForeSee.