Social Media Milestones
- 3.22 2002. Friendster launched, 3 million users in the first few months.
- May 2003. LinkedIn launched.
- January 2011. LinkedIn 90.000.000 registered users.
- August 2003. Myspace launched. (Hello, Tom. I', your default friend)
- Feb. 2005. YouTube launched & the first video "Me at the zoo" has had than 4 million views.
- 09.26 2006. Facebook network opened. (3 & up // valid email).
- Nov. 2006. Office Max Elf Yourself, 36 million visits in five weeks following launch.
- March 2008. @ComcastCares joined Twitter and changed the way businesses provide customer service online.
- May 2007. First know rickoll occurred on 4chan.
- April 2008. 18 million Americans has been rickrolled.
- January 2009. "Oh no they didn't!" became the first LiveJournal community to surpass 16.777.216 comments.
Delete 10 Facebook friends = The Burger King Whopper Sacrifice. Free! The application was disabled after 233.906 friendships were sacrificed.
- 04.16 2009. CNN vs. Ashton Kutcher (Winner!). "Million followers contest" on Twitter.
- June 2009. Flickr had more than 3.6 billion images.
- 01.13 2010. Pepsi began the Pepsi Refresh Project to help make a positive impact within communities. Less than a week, 1.000 ideas were submitted to the project.
- June 15 2010. Blendtec became famous for their "Will it blend?" video series. (117.105.290 views on YouTube)
- 06.19 2009. Farmville launched on Facebook. fastest growing app. (10 million new users in the first month)
- January 2010. What's your color? Women posted Facebook status updates to raise breast cancer awareness.
- Feb. 2010. Kevin Smith was removed from a Southwest flight for being "Too fat to fly". He took his frustration to Twitter and received customer support and an apology on the Southwest blog.
- May 2010. Justin Bieber bumped from Twitter's trending topics (after Twitter adjusted their algorithm to exclude popular topics, that is).
- July 2010. Old Spice + 3 days + 180 videos = 40 million views in one wek.
- 08.19 2010. Groupon first national deal, 441.000 purchased in 24 hours.
- Dec. 2010. Tumblr was down for about 24 hours due to maintenance errors. Freaking out millions of users.
- January 2010. Egypt crisis. Egypt // Yemen // Tunisia. Tweets increased form 122.319 to 1.317.233 in one week.
- 03.01 2011. Charlie Sheen (@CharlieSheen) - 1 million followers (25 hours & 17 minutes).
Disclosure: Edelman clients