The State of Social Media 2012
What was once considered a trend has become a way of life - and now the way we do business.
- Pinterest named best New Startup of 2011.
- It referred more business than LinkedIn, YouTube and Google +.
- President Obama holds first all-virtual interview with U.S. citizens using Google + Hangouts.
- Facebook Timeline was integrated with most of its users' profiles after its launch at the end of 2011.
- Anonymous attacks SOPA supporters with LOIC (Low Orbit ion Cannon). This was their largest attack, with over 5.635 participants. Many were identified by their IP addresses and arrested.
- Todd Wasserman of Mashable finds that the average person spends 3.3 minutes in Google + compared to 7-5 hours on Facebook per month.
- People's Republic of China takes advantage of lax Google + censorship and begin posting off comments on Barack Obama's official election campaign pages.
- Facebook launches Messenger for Windows, giving Windows 7 users access to features without having to use a browser.
- Kony 2012 is released and receives more than 87 million online views. Stirs controversy over whether or not Uganda's warlord is even still alive.
- Kony 2012 follow-up video is released and receives half a million views on YouTube within a week.
- Facebook begins syncing email addresses and Timeline.
- Time Magazine names Anonymous Group "Most Influential Person".
- Google + shuts down its popular photo editing site Picnik.
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1 billion.
- Facebook IPO: opens at $38/share.
- Facebook is now friends with NASDAQ.
- Jim Spinello rEvolution predicts that all companies will finally go social.
- 30% of users who make a public post on Google + never make a 2nd one.
- 33% of active users tweeted about TV.
- TMI? nearly a third of people ages 18-24 connect to social media from the bathroom.
- 51% of people ages 25-34 connect from work.
- Users' time on social media grew from 88 billion minutes to 121 billion minutes in the U.S.
- 80% of Pinterest Pins have become repins.
- Instagram tops Twitter for daily active users (DAU) for first time, 7.3 mil to 6.9 mil and reaches 80 million users and counting.
- President Obama's response to Clint Eastwood speech wat the most RT'd tweet of the Republican National Convention.
- Facebook's music app had over 210.000 years of music played between September 2011 and September 11, 2012.
- At 12:45 pm PT, Facebook gained its 1 billionth member (would be 3rd largest country in the world). As of September 10, Facebook had over 17 billion location-tagged posts.
- LinkedIn gains 175.000 new members a day as of September 2012.
- Facebook stock price fell to $21,83 as of October 3rd.
- Brazil became largest active country on Facebook (by posts/day).
- Barack Obama's Victory Facebook post, was most liked post ever with over 4 million likes.
- Instagram launches web profiles for its users.
- Pope Benedict XVI joins Twitter on Dec. 3rd.
- PSY "Gangnam style" is most watched video in YouTube history with 1 billion views and counting.
Produced by: The SEO Company
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinterest; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki?Google%2B; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook; http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/leony-2012-campaign-
dies-down-but-Ira-imapct-remains/2012/04/12/QAEaPuCT_blog.html; http://mashable.com/2012/04/13/facebook-timeline-email-addresses; http://technologizer.com/2012/01/20/life-is-not-a-picnik-
google-closes-its-cool-photo-editing-service; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/09/instagram-facebook-acquisition_n_141623.html; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group);
085874; http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/04/the-future-of-social-mobile-co.php; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File: Maya-Maske.jpg; http://ene.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar;
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/ACC-offering-social- media-degree; http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/social/2012.