Spice Girls break Tweets-per-minute record at #London2012
Social media peaks
- 18th May 2012 - torch lands in the UK.
- 23rd May 2012 - Olympic tickets go on general sale.
- 24th June 2012 - Italy beat England in Euro 2012. (hope turns to Olympics)
- 27th July 2012 - opening ceremony.
- 28th July 2012 - games officially start.
Is social media another hurdle for the Olympics?
- Facebook in 2012 - 900 million active users, Facebook in 2008 - 100 million active users.
The Olympic Games in London 2012 i the first Olympic Games to really have the power of social media behind it It is no secret that social media has exploded into action over the past couple of years with a huge increase in activity since the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Twitter in 2012 - 340 million tweets per day, Twitter in 2008 - 100 million tweets per qtr
Social media today makes it easier for people all across the world to pass thoughts, opinions and information. Today it is easier to judge the mood of nations, groups or individuals than ever before. As everyone has been tweeting and sharing their opinions, athletes and celebrities included, Sentiment Metrics wanted to find out how everyone felt about the Olympics and see what people are actually saying. Has social media been a positive addition to the Olympics after all?
- male - 59.7%, female - 40.3%
- #1 - 5828 mentions (35 -55 years)
- #2 - 5054 mentions (18 - 30 years)
- #3 - 2113 mentions (55+ years)
- ZA - 0.8%, ID - 1.1%, IN - 2.1%, EC - 3.9%, US - 47.9%, UK - 34%, AU - 3.6%, CA - 3.3%, NL - 2%, IE - 1.3%
29% positive excited for the Olympics speculating which athletes will perform the best proud the UK is hosting. Olympic sentiment ticketing problems Olympics security failed to provide enough staff sponsors taking over to make money
- "Having a laugh with Greg Louganis... they're all going to London for Olympics." - Oprah Winfrey
- "Do you think that having the Olympics in London are more hassle that they are worth? Depends. What are they worth?" - Ricky Gervais
- "Relax everyone - #Beckham can still go the Olympics. He just has to buy a ticket like the rest of us." - Piers Morgan
- "We're in London! Looking forward to arrive to the Olympic Village! #London 2012" - Pau Gasol
- "Great scenes in sheffield today as the Olympic torch arrives! Amazing turn out, so exciting and Sheffield is doing us proud as always!" - Jessica Ennis
- "@simonwhitfield is neck & neck in the race to be Olympic flag bearer." - Lance Armstrong
Powered by Sentiment Metrics