Don't Be a Twit: Tweet Your Customers!
How to and why you should set up a Twitter account for your business
- Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest stories, ideas, opinions and news about what you find interesting.
- 100.000.000+ active users worldwide.
- Twitter is 100% free.
- Over 25% would consider contacting a business through Twitter.
- A quarter currently connect with brands on Twitter.
- Over 1/3 would follow brands and promotions and discounts.
- Over 1/2 who share business-related content on social networks do so on Twitter.
The business benefits of Twitter:
- #1 Create links to send traffic to your website or blog.
- #2 Keep up to speed on the buzz in your industry.
- #3 Network with like-minded people.
- #4 Answer others' questions to establish your credibility and expertise.
- #5 Put your message in front of your brand advocates.
How to create a basic Twitter account:
- #1 Visit twitter.com and fill in your name, email and password.
- #2 On the next screen, pick a username (preferable your business name) - something like this: @YourBusiness. Congratulations your account is now live!
- #3 Add some personality, click on the head image at the top of the page to access your "settings".
- #4 Upload an image, insert a location and write about your business in the biography box.
- #5 Begin to follow people - this means you'll be able to see what they write (their "tweets").
- #6 Now get "tweeting" to build up a following and start interacting with existing and potential customers.
Sources: 1,7,8 - Yell advice, 2 - Twitter, Feb 2012; 3,4,5,6 One Poll, * of the Internet users we surveyed. Image source: Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Linkedin, YouTube, Google.