Like-Mindedness is the new proximity
- People today are connected... 1.000.000.000 are online.
- 400.000.000 are sharing billions of pieces of data.
- 4.000.000.000 own cell phones.
- 50% half of all new purchases are for smart phones.
Impact on consumers
- 91% say consumer content is #1 aid in buying decisions.
- 87% trust friends' advice over a critic's review.
- 50% Twitter & Facebook users have recommended a brand.
- 40% have "liked" a brand on Facebook.
- One word-of-mouth conversation is worth 200 TV ads.
- 86% of companies have 2-3 employees working at least partly with social media.
- 2.500 best buy employees are helping people on Twitter. (Twelpforce)
- Corporate social media budgets increasing: $716.000.000 - 2008, $3.100.000.000 - 2014.
- After 23 years Pepsi dropped Super Bowl ads to invest 20 million in social media campaigns.
Case study: HHC media insurance services social strategy
- Schedule fun, yet educational conversations with their online community.
- Promote company news via press releases and blog posts.
- Use keyword alerts to respond to sales opportunities.
- Apply proven techniques from traditional call center marketing to social conversations.
- Use social conversations to meet customers' needs in their mediums.
- Monitor brand mentions to address any potential customer issues.
HCCMIS online issues response plan:
- Social monitoring.
- Customer complaint response.
- Resolve & checkup.
HCCMIS campaign success
- Social influence increased by 227% in one quarter.
- Referral traffic from Facebook up 37% in one quarter.
- Referral traffic from LinkedIn up 24% in one quarter.
- Corporate Twitter page rank = 5.
A few social media best practices
- Use effective language
Readability grade levels.
Retweets ~ 6.5.
Tweets ~ 6.0.
- Post at peak times
Retweets (12 am - 4%, 6 am ~ 1%, 12 pm ~ 4% pm, 6 pm ~ 5.5%, 1 pm ~ 4%).
Retweets (12 am - 4%, 6 am ~ 3%, 12 pm ~ 4% pm, 6 pm ~ 4.5%, 1 pm ~ 4.7%).
- Increase reach by blogging
Average # of Twitter followers.
No blog ~ 200.
Blog ~ 350.
Sources: People are connectd: March 2011 http://www.jeffbullas.com/2010/04/05/12-key-findings-on-social-media%E2%80%99s-impact-on-business-and-decision-making-by-ceos-and-managers; Impact on consumers: March 2011 http://www.slideshare.net/DigitalInfluence/business-impact-of-social-media; Business response: March 2011 http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/5965/The-Ultimate-List-300-Social_Media-Statistic; Business response: April 2011 http://www.slideshare.net/UsefulSocialMedia/the-state-of-corporate-social-media-2011-breifing-ex; Case study: Jeniffer Grappone and Gravida Couzin, Search Engine Optimization An Hour A Day Third Edition, Indianapolis, Indiana and Canada: Wiley Publishing Inc., 2011; Social media best practices: April 2011 http://www.problogger.net/archives/2010/12/06/whens-the-best-time-to-publish-blog-posts; Social media best practices: April 2011 http://www.sildeshare.net/HubSpot/marketing-charts-graphsdataapril2010slideshare