Cells & DNA
- #1 A single cell can contain from 6 to 9 feet of DNA.
- #2 75 to 100 trillion. The amount of cells the body is composed of.
- #3 When a cell becomes damaged or undergoes some type of infection, it will self destruct by a process called apoptosis.
- #4 A cell's ability to undergo apoptosis can result in the development of cancer.
- #5 The chromosomes and DNA from all your cells laid out end to end would stretch from the Earth to the Moon 6.000 times or from the Earth to the Sun 30 times.
- #6 200 New York City phones books would be filled by a list of all of the bases in your DNA-A's, C's, G's and T's.
- #7 Your body is creating and killing about 15 million red blood cells per second.
- #8 It takes about eight hours for one of your cells to completely copy its DNA.
- #9 Human cells contain 23 pairs of chromosomes.
- #10 Humans shed and regrow outer skin cells about every 27 days.
- #11 You could fit one thousand cell nuclei across the period at the end this sentence.
- #12 About 95% of the cells in your body are bacteria.
- #13 100 billion is the number of neurons in the human brain.