25 Years Of Technology Evolution And Change
This year is a special year for Insight as we celebrate our 25th Anniversary. Happy Birthday to us. During this time we have seen a lot of changes within the tech industry from the creation of the internet to the launch of the iPod and
the current tablet boom. Take a look at the timeline below to see how much has really changed.
- 1988: Insight is founded by the Crown Brothers in Tempe Arizona
- 1989: On 1st August Microsoft releases a suite of desktop applications called Office. This first version contains Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- 1990: Development of the World Wide Web begins. Tim Berners-Lee and colleagues at CERN create HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), standardising communication between servers and clients.
- 1990: Cisco goes public on February 16, 1990, listed as “CSCO" on the NASDAQ.
- 1990: Photoshop 1.0 is released on February 19th exclusively for Macintosh.
- 1993: Intel release the first Pentium Processor containing over 3 million transistors.
- 1995: Microsoft releases Internet Explorer as a part of an add-on package for Windows 95 named Plus!
- 1995: Digital Versatile Discs or DVD's are invented by Philips, Sony, Toshiba & Panasonic.
- 1995: Microsoft combine formerly separate MS-DOS and Windows products to create Windows 95.
- 1995: Jeff Bezos launches online bookstore, Amazon.com.
- 1998: Larry Page and Sergey Brin create Google Inc setting up a workspace in Susan Wojcicki's garage.
- 1999: Shawn Fanning, John Fanning and Sean Parker launch peer-to-peer file sharing service, Napster.
- 2001: Apple release their first line of portable media players named the iPod.
- 2004: Mark Zuckerberg launches TheFacebook a social network for Harvard students.
- 2006: Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone and Noah Glass launch Twitter, a micro blogging and social networking service Twitter.
- 2007: Apple release the first generation iPhone named the iPhone 2G.
- 2008: The first Android powered phone, the ?-Mobile G1 goes on sale.
- 2008: Bill Gates retires from day to day operations at Microsoft to focus on philanthropy and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 2010: Amid much speculation Apple release their first line of tablet PCs named the iPad.
- 2011: Apple founder and visionary Steve Jobs sadly dies after a long battle with Pancreatic cancer.
- 2012: Microsoft releases the Surface Tablet, the first initiative to integrate its Windows OS with its own hardware.
- 2012: EE launch the first 4th generation (4G) mobile services in the UK.
- 2013: IPv6 launches to handle the ever increasing number of new devices connecting to the Internet.
Insight - uk.insight.com.