The iPad was introduced to the U.S. market in April 2010. In just over four months, the iPad reached $1 billion in sales —the fastest ever for a consumer device.
The iPad 2 continues the tradition by posting strong sales after its introduction in March 2011. Read on to learn about the improvements in the next generation iPad 2.
- March 12. Pre orders for iPad begin.
- April 3. WiFi version of iPad for sale in US.
- April 8. 450.000 iPads sold, 3.5 million iPad Apps downloaded, 600.000 iBooks downloaded.
- April 30. WiFi+3G version on sale (AT&T).
- May 3. Sales research. 1 million.
- May 31. Sales research. 2 million.
- July 21. Sales research. 3.3 million.
- September 1. Sales research. 7.5 million.
- September 17. iPad sales slashing laptop sales 50% reported by US Retailer Best Buy.
- October 28. iPad 3G service available (Verizon).
- November 13. Analysts predict iPad sales will top 6 million units in Q4.
- January 18. Sales research. 14.8 million.
- March 2. iPad2 announced.
- March 11. iPad2 for sale in US.
Why buy iPad?
- 28% - brand
- 40% - convenience
- 56% - entertainment
- 42% - cool factor
Who is using iPad?
- 5% - <20
- 18% - 21-29
- 17% - 30-34
- 32% - 35-44
- 17% - 45-54
- 11% - 55+
The majority of iPad users are between the ages of 35 to 54.
Male users outnumber female users 2:1.
The average user spends 5 to 20+ hours a week using the iPad.
- 15% - 20+ hours
- 17% - 0-2 hours
- 16% - 2-5 hours
- 28% - 10-20 hours
- 24% - 5-10 hours
iPad2 vs iPad
The iPad 2 is similar to the original iPad. The display size is the same, however the iPad 2 is 33% slimmer and 15% lighter.
Also new in iPad 2:
- More powerful A5 processor
- Memory doubled—512 MB
- New gyroscope for improved gaming
- Improved operating system iOS 4.3
- Front facing camera enables video chat
- SmartCover display cover
- Two color choices—white and black
- FaceTime video chat
- Powerful new apps for iOS 4.3
- Improved gaming experience
- Slim & lightweight body
- 80% faster browsing experience
- Weight (WiFi/WiFi+3G): 601 g/615g
- Storage: 16GB/32GB/64GB
- Display: 9.7-inch LED-backlit
- Resolution: 1024x768 @132 ppi
- Camera: HD(720p)/30fps
SOURCES: http/www.ipadinsider.com/tag/ipad-sales-figures; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad; http://ipod.about.eom/od/ipadmodelsandterms/f/ipad-sales-to-date.htm; http://ymobileblog.com/blog/2010/07/08/apple-ipad-user-analysis-%E2%80%94-phase-ii; http/apcmag.com/ipad-vs-ipad-2-back-to-back-whats-new-plus-all-the-newold-specs-compared.htm;http://www.padgadget.com/2010/11/13/will-ipad-sales-reach-analyst-predictions