Why Content For SEO?
- Content for SEO: 1) The major search engines are focusing on creating the best possible user experiences, which means sites that offer relevant information stand to gain the most visibility, investing in original, quality
content creation is essential to SEO success in the current search climate, and the benefits of producing visitor-friendly content go far beyond rankings; 2) 92% of marketers say that content creation is either "very effective"
or "somewhat effective" for SEO (50% of marketers cite web pages as "very effective" for SEO 40% of marketers cite whitepapers as "very effective" for SEO); 3) 76% of marketers who have strategic SEO campaigns in
place invest in content creation.
- The panda factor: 1) "Our site quality algorithms are aimed at helping people find 'high-quality' sites by reducing the rankings of low-quality content" - Amit Singhal, Google Fellow; 2) Content fuels Google organic traffic:
Panda update 1 (132 keywords); Panda update 2; Panda update 2.1; Panda update 2.2; Panda update 2.3; Panda update 2.4; Panda update 2.5 (355 keywords). A content marketing strategy carried across this sales
management business' landing pages, frequently updated blog posts and Tweets has steadily increased its organic search traffic through all of Google's Panda updates. The number of referring keywords has risen by more
than 150 percent over the same time period.
- Social is SEO and content is social: 1) Bring uses Facebook "likes" as a ranking signal for logged in users; 2) Google Plus says it is working on using +1 as a ranking signal; 3) Tweets help Google index content faster; 4)
27 million pieces of online content are shared daily; 5) >1 in 5 social media messages include links to content; 6) 60 percent of content-sharing messages specific to an industry mention a brand or product by name; 7)
Impact of social on SEO (according to US B2B marketers): Positive - 44%; Negative - 1%.
- The brand effect. Brand tells a story, and stories rely on content: 1) "Try to make a site that is so fantastic you become an authority in your niche" - Matt Cutts, head of Google's webspam team on whether Google gives
more weight to brands in rankings; 2) 50% of consumers are more likely to click on a search result if the brand appears multiple times on the results page.
- Content converts search (and other) visitors: 1) 52% of consumers say blogs have impacted purchase decisions; 2) 57% of marketers have acquired new customers via their blogs; 3) 42% of consumers look to articles
and blogs for info about potential purchases; 4) 19% of beauty buyers who made purchases based on blog posts say they stumbled upon the content vie search; 5) 61% of consumers are more likely to purchase goods
from businesses that offer custom content; 6) 60% of business decision makers say branded content helps them make better product decisions.
- Marketers' forecast for SEO. Predicted value of search factors: 1) Paid links. Effectiveness of paid links; 2) AD: Content Ratio. Impact of balancing ads and content; 3) Site interaction. Importance of CTR, bounce rate,
etc; 4) Content. value of content's usability and readability; 5) Social signals. Impact of page-level social signals (driven by content).
- Bright Outlook. Marketers are investing $12.5 billion in online content.
Sources: Content For SEO: SourMarketingSherpa Benchmark Search marketing Survey: http://www.scribd.com/doc/57448143/2012-Search-Marketing-Benchmark-Report-SEO-Edition-EXCERPT
and http://searchengineland.com/seo-stats-galore-in-latest-marketingsherpa-benchmark-study-88915; The Panda factor: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-guidance-on-building-high-quality.html;
Brafton client examples Social is SEO: http://www.emarketer.tv/Article.aspx?R=1007932, http://www.brafton.com/news/study-men-are-more-likely-to-share-online-content-800496746 and http://www.slideshare.net/
duckofdoom/aol-nielsen-content-saring-study; Brand Effect: http://blog.perfomics.com/search/201/09/search-engine-usage-study-how-do-your-customers-interact-with-search-engines.html; http://www.youtube.com/
?v=LMfWPWUh5uU ; Content Converts Search (And Other) Visitors: http://www.brafton.com/news/fifty-two-percent-of-consumers-say-blog-marketing-led-to-purchase-ses-san-francisco-insight, http://www.
hubspot.xom/state-of-inbound-marketing, http://www.junta42.com/resources/what-is-content-marketing.aspx, http://blog.junta42.com/2011/03/new-research-custom-content-marketing-surges-with-cmos-consumers;
Forecast Of SEO Factors: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/facebook-twitter-influence-google-search-rankings and http://www.customcontentcouncil.com/sites/default/files/PublishingCharecteristics_2011_CCC.pdf.