Data-Rich and Insight-Poor
Marketers planning to turn information into intelligence in 2013. Sponsored by Infogroup Targeting Solutions and YesMail Interactive.
As consumers share more information than ever before on digital channels, marketers are becoming increasingly data-rich and insight-poor. A new report, based on a survey of 700 attendees at DMA 2012 and Forrester Research
eBusiness conferences, shows how marketers plan to tackle big data in 2013.
- 68% of marketers plan to increase data spending.
- 56% plan on hiring new employees for data positions.
- 45% said analyzing or applying data will be their biggest challenge.
- 83% plan at least start considering using real-time data.
- How do you expect your data-related marketing expenditures to change in 2013?: 1) Increase slightly - 48%; 2) Stay the same - 23%; 3) Increase greatly - 20%; 4) Have not determined budget - 6%; 5) Decrease slightly - 2%;
6) Decrease greatly - 1%; 7) 48% expect their data-related marketing expenditures t increase slightly.
- Do you plan on hiring new employees to handle or oversee data collection or analysis in 2013?: 1) Don't plan on hiring - 44%; 2) Data analyst/strategist - 20%; 3) developer/programmer - 11%; 4) Data collection - 7%; 5) Data
manager - 7%; 6) Data engineer/architect - 6%; 7) Data executive - 5%; 8) 44% don't plan on hiring new employees to handle or oversee data collection or analysis.
- What do you think is the biggest challenge marketers will face in 2013 as it relates to the use of data?: 1) Analyzing data - 25%; 2) Applying data - 20%; 3) Cleaning data - 13%; 4) Protecting customer data and privacy - 12%;
5) Collecting data - 11%; 6) Real-time data collection - 11%; 7) Hiring qualified employees - 8%; 8) 25% think analyzing data is the biggest challenge marketers will face.
- How do you plan on using real-time data in your 2013 marketing campaigns?: 1) Make greater use of it - 53%; 2) Start considering it - 19%; 3) Use if for the first time - 11%; 4) Don't plan on using it - 11%; 5) Don't know how
to use it - 4%; 6) Can't afford to use it - 2%; 7) 53% plan on making greater use of real-time data in their marketing campaign.
- Do you plan to use customers' social media data to drive marketing campaigns in other channels in 2013?: 1) Plan to make greater use of social media data - 78%; 2) Don't plan to integrate social data - 22%.
- Do you plan on taking additional steps to protect customer data and privacy in 2013?: 1) Top priority - 60%; 2) Low priority or not a priority - 40%.
- 26% of marketers can't remember the last time they performed quality control of their customer data.
- 24% said they clean their customer data at least weekly.
- 23% said they clean their customer data at least monthly.
- 39% are not using data such as demographics and purchase behavior to customize their marketing messages by channel.
YesMail Interactive - www.yesmail.com | Infogroup targeting Solutions - www.infogrouptageting.com.
For a copy of the full survey report, visit: lp.infogroup.com/survey-report.
* Forrester Research conference: Seizing Opportunity From Digital Disruption: A Forum For eBusiness & Channel Strategy Professionals, October 2012.