The History of eCommerce
- 1960s. Basically initiates the history of eCommerce, when what is called Electronic Data Interchange permits companies to carry our electronic transactions.
- 1979. Michael Aldrich invents online shopping giving the "concept of teleshopping" which revolutionizes the way businesses happen.
- 1981. Thomson Holidays submits the first ever B2B electronic transaction using online technology.
- 1982. France Telecom invents Minitel that is considered the most successful pre-World Wide Web online service.
- 1984. Format ASC X12 provides a dependable means to conduct electronic business; Gateshead SIS/Tesco is the first B2C online shopping.
- 1985. Nissan UJ sells cars and finance with credit checking to customers online from dealers' lots.
- 1987. Swreg creates the first electronic Merchant account to let software developers sell online.
- 1990. Tim Berners-Lee creates the first World Wide Web server and browser, using a NeXT computer.
- 1991. The National Science Foundation (NFS) lifts restrictions on the commercial use of the NET, clearing the way for eCommerce.
- 1992. J.H. Snider and Terra Ziporyn publish "Future Shop: How new technologies will change the way we shop and what we buy".
- 1994. Netscape unveils SSl encrypt; Jerry and David's Guide to the www is named Yahoo; Third-party payment services for processing online credit card sales begin to appear; The first online bank opens.
- 1995. Amazon.com stats selling each and everything online; AuctionWeb launches a site soon to be unchristened eBay; A company called Verisign begins developing digital IDs.
- 1998. PayPal launches pay service; Google debuts on eCommerce; Yahoo launches Yahoo Stores.
- 1999. Zappos launches web-only shoe store; Internet retailer debuts; Global Sports launches outsource eCommerce platform; Victoria's Secret debuts site.
- 2000. The ongoing dot-com investment bust; osCommerce is started in Germany as The Exchange Project.
- 2001. Amazon.com blazes a trail launching a mobile commerce site.
- 2002. PayPal is acquired by eBay; CSN Stores and NetShops begin selling products through several targeted domains.
- 2003. Apple launches iTunes store; Congress passes the Can-Spam Act; ZenCart branches from osCommerce.
- 2004. Credit card companies create PCI data security standards.
- 2005. First Internet Retailer Conference and Exhibition; Launches YouTube; Web 2.0 takes hold making sites more interactive; The final release of VirtueMart.
- 2006. Google debuts Google Checkout.
- 2007. Apple launches the iPhone with full web browsing and downloadable apps, advancing mCommerce; First open-source Prestashop software is founded.
- 2008. Amazon introduces TextBuyIt; Magento eCommerce solution is launched by Varian.
- 20009. Amazon.com and Everstock.com lose New York online sales tax battle.
- 2010. Magento mobile is released allowing store owners to create native mobile storefront apps; eCommerce gets serious and more personal conversations taking place between businesses and consumers.
Sources: http://www.internetretailer.com/2009/02/26/the-history-of-e-commerce; http://www.ecommerce-journal.com/articles/electronic_commerce_aka_e_commerce_history; http://communication.howstuffworks.com/
history-e-commerce.html; http://www.bestshoppingcartreviews.com/content/history-of-ecommerce.html; http://www.ecommerce-web-hodting-guide.com/history-of-ecommerce.html; http://www.britannica.com
/EBchecked/topic/183748/e-commerce; http://www.instantshift.com/2010/03/26/the-history-of-online-shopping-in-nutshell; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_commerce; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_shopping;
http://www.answers.com/topic/electronic-commerce; http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/commerceh.html; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OsCommerce; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magento; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
PrestaShop; http://dev.virtuemart.net/redmine/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Version_History; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_Cart; http://blog.magnoninternational.com/ecommerce-in-2010; http://onlinebusiness.volusion.com/
Created by: TemplateMonster.com