How Long Does it Take to Build an iOS or Android App?
Based on survey of 100 iOS, Android and HTML5 developers, it takes nearly 18 weeks to build v1 of a native app.
Legend: Core equipment; User facing; Engagement driver; revenue opportunity.
- Backend (10 weeks), frontend (8 weeks), 18 weeks total.
- Silver-side logic (engagement driver, revenue opportunity). How a developer truly customized the user's experience.
- User management (core equipment). Creating user accounts, managing authentication, security and access control.
- Data storage (core equipment). The building block of any native app's backend.
- Caching. Storing data locally to speed load time.
- Synchronization (engagement driver). Enable off-line usage and resolve data conflicts.
- Wireframing (core equipment). Blueprint for user interface and experience.
- Data integration (engagement driver, user facing). Allowing users to access information from and publish data to third party sources, including social networks.
- Push (engagement driver, user facing). Maintaining engagement with users continuously.
- Versioning (core equipment). Make version 2 live... without breaking version 1.
- UI polish (engagement driver, user facing). The differentiating "last mile" of the user interface, where an app truly stands out from the crowd.
- UI development (core equipment, user facing). Translating mock-ups into functioning user interface code.
- UI design (core equipment, user facing). Pixel perfect mock-ups of user interface.
- It also takes 18 weeks to. In the 18 weeks it takes to develop and publish a native app, one could: 1) Build 1.3 Boeing 777 airplanes; 2) Drill 3 3000 ft. oil wells; 3) Build 1/231th of a Giza Pyramid; 4) Take Apollo 11
to the Moon 40 times.
Designed by visual.ly | This message was brought to you by Kinvey | Credits: Joe Chernov; Dave Wasmer of Kinvey. Survey data; AYTM | Primary sources: AYTM survey of 100 iOS, Android and HTML5 developers |
Other sources: http://www.universetoday.com/13562/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-the-moon; http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/01/how-long-does-it-take-to-build-a-boeng-777; http://www.cedarvalleyenergy.