How SMS can Improve Company Communications
Why use SMS?
- Whether you have vital company information to share, or need a quick way of keeping track of employee activities, SMS messages offer instant reach for critical and day to day corporate updates.
- Very high open rate: text messaging (98% open rate (1), mail 22% open rate (1)).
- Spread information quickly: 90% of all text messages are read within three minutes.
- These two factors make SMS the fastest way to reach employees and also ensure they read your messages.
Reasons email isn't enough
- Employees aren't always sat at their desk. They could be:
- At a meeting, at a conference, remote working, on holiday, travelling.
- On the shop floor, away from computer, on a break/lunch, working "on the road", at home (outside of company hours).
- SMS ensures you can reach them all at the same time much faster than relying on computers alone.
Uses of SMS for corporate communications
- Automated systems: allow employees to check in for timecards via SMS or register for parking spaces (3).
- Brand management: if your brand is mentioned in a negative way in the media you can quickly alert the marketing team to take action, and warn internal employees not to comment.
- Workflow automation: Use your CMS system to notify people when tasks they are involved in need actioning or are completed (4).
- Workflow Tracking: let employees confirm tasks have been completed; for example, allowing drivers to say when items are delivered or collected.
- IT support: notify your IT team when important issues happen and gather the collective brain of your IT team when swift action is required.
- Disaster recovery plans: notify all of your staff immediately if there are issues with the office out of hours so they know how to react.
- Company outings: SMS messaging can be useful for employee days out if you need to keep everyone aware of where and when they need to meet for key events.
- Mission critical messaging: make the entire team aware of vital messages quickly, and have them reply so you know everyone has read the alert.
- Calendar updates: send calendar updates and information to employees, and encourage them to use Google Calendar which can be quickly checked via SMS.
- SMS polls: get instant feedback on ideas with short polls that can be quickly answered and followed up.
- Sales updates: send end of day sales reports to sales executives so they can see them wherever they are - very handy for sales teams who travel a lot.
- Collaborative group discussions: start a debate via SMS and with Android phones and iPhones you can see a history of the conversation it provokes, Quicker than waiting for individual emails, with clear flow.
- Individual communication: reach employees who don't use a computer constantly throughout the day e.g. teachers.
BIO: Text Marketer are a provider of business. SMS services who aim to give their customers the best tools at the lowest possible price.
Text Marketer. We deliver. You share.
Sources: 1. Frost & Sullivan, Epsillon 2009, 2. http://mashable.com/2010/08/19/mobile-advertising-trends, 3. http://blog.msgme.com/2009/04/16/sms-to-garage-door-opener, http://www.ozeki.hu/index.php?owpn=550, http://www.quora.com/Are-companies-using-SMS-text-messaging-for-employee-communications.