How To Build Links [Infographic]
Search engines see links as "votes" that indicate how useful or trustworthy your website is. Listed below are several methods to use to generate inbound links. Many of these techniques are for finding highly related websites for
Link building (characteristics & factors)
- Link structure have to meet these requirements: 1) Add value to the web; 2) Looks natural; 3) Looks "social" to search engine.
- Two most important factors to consider: 1) Inbound link profile of the website you contact; 2) Social activity metrics.
- Link building methods may include: 1) Subscription; 2) Tools; 3) SEO experience.
- General: 1) Targeted searching: Solo SEO; SEOmoz Link Finder; Advanced search queries in Google: a::intitle: "relevant keyword" resources site::org; 2) Link acquisition tools: SEOmoz Link Finder; Link Research Tools; Ontolo;
3) Competitor backlink trolling: Open Site Explorer; Advanced search queries on Google/Yahoo: link:relatedsite.com - site:relatedsite.com "sponsors"; Raven Backlink Explorer; Competitive Link Finder.
- Traditional link building methods: 1) Website outreach; 2) Press release optimization; 3) Web directories submissions: Use quality directories like www.botw.org, dir.yahoo, dmoz, etc; 4) Article submission sites: Write an article
with links in the article and/or in the resource section to your site; 5) Social bookmarking sites; 6) Widget optimization; 7) Email marketing; 8) Discussion forum links; 9) Cached comment links: From high PageRank dofollow blogs.
- Sample visualization. Best linked websites are those similar or associated to the content of the website it is linked to. Effective link building generates valuable connections: 1) YouTube; 2) Rhapsody; 3) MySpace; 4) MTV;
5) Playlist; 6) New.music.yahoo; 7) Music; 8) Pandora; 9) Music.aol; 10) AllMusic; 11) Music.msn; 12) Music; 13) Blastro; 14) ARTISTdirect.
- Link request letter: 1) Make it short and sweet; 2) Be upfront and completely transparent; 3) identify the page on their site where you would like a link; 3) Explain why you think it makes sense for them.
- To take into account. Summing up: 1) LB is relationship building; 2) It takes a lot of time; 3) It needs a lot of diligence; 4) It requires SEO smarts.
- Managing the process. As you approach target sites to request links, here's a list of the most basic data you'll need to manage: 1) The name of the target data; 2) The site's URL and the specific URL of the wanted page on their
site; 3) The contact method (email, online form, phone); 4) Name and email address of decision maker for the target site (hint: usually not the webmaster); 5) The date you contact that person...; 6) The date he or she responds;
7) A copy of the sent link request; 8) The response. Some will say yes, some will say no, others will not reply at all, others will want a link back from you and some will be out of town and take weeks to reply; 9) The status of
the process; 10) Verifying that the link is in place; 11) Checking the site periodically for the link.
- General visualization: 1) Facebook; 2) Flickr; 3) LinkedIn; 4) Yahoo!; 5) Tumblr; 6) StumbleUpon; 7) Google; 8) YouTube; 9) Digg; 10) MSN; 11) RSS.
You want to get the greatest benefit for your money (and time) spent. So, before proceeding with building links, it is advisable that you do an SEO audit and take a hard look at your website to make sure it's optimized | Sources: