Instant Messaging vs. E-mail
Instant Message (IM)
- Instant messaging is a stripped down version of email. With instant messaging, there is no automatic mailbox. Messages are instant and disposable. But instant messaging archiving is also available and is growing in popularity.
- Advantages: 1) Immediacy; 2) It is brief; 3) It is conversational.
- Disadvantages: 1) It doesn't work unless both parties are present; 2) It is intrusive; 3) It is proprietary; 4) You need to sign in.
- Instant messaging accounts will reach 2. billion this year and peak at 4.3 billion.
- 45% of smartphone users use IM on a daily basis.
- 35% of US adults aged 30-49 have used their mobile phone to instant message others.
- 30% of teenagers send IM's on a daily basis compared with merely 10% of adults.
- 70% of teenagers say they send more IM's than emails.
- 24% percent of adults make the same claim.
- Email is a store and forward technology. Is the most widely used and commonly accepted form of communication.
- Advantages: 1) The advantage of email is that recipients can read and respond to their messages at their own pace; 2) It is universal. Everyone has an email address, and you can send a message from any email provider to any email
provider; 3) You can send a single message to a large group of people, it provides a written record.
- Disadvantages: 1) That you might have to wait a couple of hours or even a day for a response; 2) It is filled with spam.
- Archiving is another reason people favour email.
- Email accounts will reach the same 4.3 billion for 2016, suggesting that instant messaging will be just as popular as email by 2016.
- The number of worldwide email accounts is projected to increase from over 2.9 billion in 2010, to over 3.8 billion by 2014.
- Predicted in 2013: 918 million corporate email accounts & 2688 million consumer email accounts. Avg. of 117 emails will be sent/received per user/day.
- The average number of email accounts per user ratio is expected to remain even at roughly 1.6 accounts per user over the next 4 years.
Scayl - www.scayl.com | Sources: http://www.radicati.com/wp/ap-content/uploads/2010/04/Email-Statistics-Report-2010-2014-Executive-Summary2.pdf; http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/248142/email_vs_im_vs_sms_