Mobile Technology In Uganda
- Total number of mobile subscribers as of december 2010 - 12.828.264.
- Which compared to 38.38% mobile penetration translates to...
- Total number of fixed line subscribers as of December 2010 - 327.114.
- Total teledensity - 41%.
- 90% of Uganda geography has mobile network coverage.
- Mobile Internet browser market share % (from Sept. 2010 to May 2011): 1) Opera Mini - 61.92%; 2) Nokia - 19.74%; 3) Other minor browsers - 5.9%; 4) Safari - 4.19%; 5) Netfront - 3.2%; 6) BlackBerry - 2.38%.
- Mobile operating system market share % (from Sept. 2010 to May 2011): 1) Symbian OS - 60.27%; 2) Unknown operating systems - 11.02%; 3) Sony Ericsson - 7.68%; 4) iOS - 5.43%; 5) Samsung OS - 5.27%; 6) BlackBerry
OS - 4.27%; 7) Android OS - 3.26%; 8) Other monir Os's e.g. Bada, LG, Windows - 2.57%
- There are 5 mobile network operators in Uganda (Bharti Airtel, MTN, Uganda Telecom, Warid Telecom, Orange): 1) The largest mobile network operator in Uganda is MTN with 60% of the market share; 2) First network was Celtel
which went live in 1995; 3) It is estimated that more than 40% of subscribers have more than 1 SIM card; 4) More than 1 million new connections were realised in each of the first two quarters of the financial year with 1 million and
1.5 new subscriptions in the quarters July-Sept and Oct-Dec respectively.
- Average tariffs in equivalent Kenyan shillings: 1388 shillings for a 1Gb Internet data bundle & 6 shillings per minute call.
- 4 million Internet users (at least once a month) translating into a penetration of 12%.
- Access to the Internet statistics as of December 2010 stood at: 605.000 mobile Internet subscriptions & 35.000 fixed Internet subscriptions.
- In 1998, there were only 3.000 subscribers.
- The time individuals spend talking on the phone has increased from 80 min per person per month over the last one year to 100 min respectively.
- Minutes of call traffic - 4.685.388.728.
Hub Research | Sources: International Telecommunication Unit - (www.itu.int); Uganda Communications Commission - (www.ucc.co.ug); StartCounter - (allafrica.com); All Africa.com - (allafrica.com); Internet World Stats -