Photography Analogue To Digital
Since the legislation of photography, not only has the physical act of the artform changed, but also the social relevance photography has had on our lives. This infographic explores the changes to the way in which we take photos and
- Camera Obscura (latin for dark chamber) used to aid drawing as early back as 300 BC. Exposure time was about 8 hours .
- First photograph taken in 1896 by Joseph Nicephore Niepce .
- Daguerreotype photographic process is patented by Louis Daguerre in 1839. Exposure time is now 15 minutes. In the same year, the world's first self portrait is taken by a Dutch chemist in America .
- 1877. Photojournalism is born after Scottish Victorian documents the hardships and poverty of London's street people through a series of photographs .
- 1888. EAstman Kodak release the first simple analogue camera - The Brownie . Costing 425, you could take the camera anywhere, take 100 photos then post the film back to Eastman Kodak and get the prints back a few weeks
later . "You press the button, we'll do the rest" - Kodak slogan .
- 1920's. Newspapers started to use photo's to illustrate stories. The average photojournalist comes away with 7-8 photos from weeks of work. You don't press unless it's going to be good! . The average film took 24 photo's .
- Kodak moments: 1) In 1960, an estimated 55% of all analogue photo's were of babies ; 2) It was estimated that by year 2000 85 billion photos were in existence. That's 2.500 clicks per second .
- 80% of people prefer to store photo's electronically than keeping a photo album .
- Since digitisation... Samsung estimated 2.5 billion people worldwide have a digital camera .
- Breaking news... Photojournalism accelerates due to the convergence of camera's, phones and the Internet. In 2011, breaking news stories such as the death of colonel Gaddafi and the London Riots is captured on camera phones and
uploaded to the Internet in real time .
- The average digital camera holds 4000 photos .
- 750 million photos were uploaded on Facebook over the 2010/2011 New Year's Eve .
- 3500 photos are uploaded to Flickr each second, hosting over 5 billion image in total .
- Every 60 seconds 136.000 photos are uploaded onto Facebook .
- Over 150 million photos are uploaded using Instagram .
- It is estimated that the average person snaps 15- photos in a year - that's 375 billion photos per year .
This infographic was created by Kristy Stevens, 201. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License | References: 1. Alex. The Wonderful World of Photography. [Internet] 2005 [Cited 2012 August
16]. Available from http://www.neatorama.com/2006/06/29/the-wonderful-world-of-early-photography; 2. Kodak. History of Kodak. [Internet] n.d. [Cited 2012 August 16]. Available from: http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Our_
Company/History_of_Kodak/Imaging_the_basics.html; 3. Kamps, H. J. Photography History: The Film Era [Internet] 2006 [Cited 2012 August 18]. Available from http://www.pbdq.com/article/film-photography-history; 4. Diemer A.
The digitisation impact of photography: a look at past, transitional and future roles. [Internet] 2011 [Cited 2012 August 18]. Available from: http://andlemer.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/the-digitisation-impact-of-photography-a-look-at-
past-transitional-and-future-roles; 5. De Castella, T. BBC News. Five ways the digital camera changed us [Internet] 2012 [Cited 2012 August 18]. Available from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16483509; 6. Good, J. How ,am
photos have ever been taken? [Internet] 2011 [CBed 2012 August 18]. Available from: http://blog.1000memories.com/94-number-of-photos-ever; 7. Daily Mail Reporter. Death of the Photo Album: Eight in Ten Britons Now Prefer to
Store their Photos Digitally [Internet] 2010 [Cited 2012 August 2012]. Available from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1335027/Death-photograph-album-8-10-Britons-prefer-store-digitally; 8. Online Schools. Facebook
Statistics. Stats & Facts for 2011 [Internet] 2011 [Cited 2012 August 2012]. Available from http://www.digitalbuzzblog.com/facebook-statistics-stats-fcts-2011; 9. Oring C. 100 Social Media Statistics for 2012 [Internet] 2012 [Cited
2012 August 18]. Available from http://thesocialsskinny.com/100-social-media-statistics-for-2012 | Images remixed: http://www.dafont.com/alegre-sans-ns.font?-110&10&-1; http://www.dafont.com/civilian.font?!-10&!-1;
http://www.shapes4for.com/photoshop-customs-hapes/photoshop-badge-shapes; http://www.shapes4free.com/photoshop-custom-shapes/sunburst-photoshop-custom-shapes; http://www.ciker.com/cilpart-map-symbols-camera-
white.html; http://openvilpart.org/detail/28709/baby-silhouette-by-gringer; http://openvilpart.org/detail/21970/person-outline-by-gringer; http://openvilpart.org/detail/21970/person-outline-3-by-rejon; http://openvilpart.org/detail/104743/i-
take-photos-by-stymshinji; http://openvilpart.org/detail/166920/champagne-showers-2-by-merlin2525; http://openvilpart.org/detail/48427/clock-by-palomalronique.