Portable Power: The Progress Of Mobile Business Intelligence
In early 2008, just under 20 percent of companies were delivering business intelligence data to mobile devices, but nearly 80 percent had a keen interest in doing so. When the recession hit. investment in mobile business intelligence
product development slowed dramatically. What didn't slow was the development of new mobile hardware. Recession or not, consumers quickly incorporated mobile devices into every aspect of their on-the-go lifestyle. Now,
companies are engaged in a game of catch-up as they rapidly expand their mobile BI offerings.
By the beginning of 2013:
- 33% of BI functionality will be consumed via handheld devices.
- 40% of organizations will provide data exclusively on servers for mobile devices.
- 73% of the workforce will made up by enterprise mobile workers.
- $11 billion+ will be spent by US businesses on mobile app development.
Mobile BI provides:
- Improved employee productivity. Mobile employees connected 24/7 work an average of 240 hours more a year.
- Increase employee engagement. With the introduction of mobile BI, employee usage of BI systems doubled among 277 companies that took part in an Aberdeen Group survey.
- Faster decision-making. companies with mobile BI can make critical business decisions six times faster than organizations without a mobile platform for reporting and analytics.
- User-friendly interfaces. Ease-of-use is the new number one consideration when purchasing a BI platform. This aspect surpassed "functionality" for the first time in 2011.
- As businesses and consumers demand more from mobile BI software, commonly used user interfaces will be replaced by those that emphasize more natural interaction, allowing for the kind of diverse functionality already familiar to
users in non-BI mobile applications: 1) Old UI's (standardized, pointers, windows, icons, menus); 2) Next-gen UI's (video, customizable, touch & gesture, search, voice).
- Transforming the experience of business intelligence through mobile technology is helping to drive better, faster decision-making and greater productivity for a growing number of companies. When organizations adopt efficient
mobile BI strategies: 1) Employees are more engaged; 2) Customers are more satisfied; 3) Business thrives.
DOMO | Sources: Aberdeen; Apple Inc.; Compass Intelligence; Computerworld Inc.; Forrester; Gartner; Visage Mobile.