Steve Jobs (2955-2011) - The Timeline Of A Visionary And A Creative Genius
- 1955-1975. Steve Jobs is born, meets Steve Wozniak at high school, drops out of college and then builds the world's first Apple I in his bedroom.
- 1 April 1976. Apple Computers is founded.
- July 1976. The pair raise $1.750 and build their first marketable Apple I.
- April 1977. Apple II released with colour graphics.
- 1978. development on the Lisa started and was aimed towards business customers.
- June 1979. Apple II Plus introduced using Applesoft BASIC programming language.
- 1980. Apple III released, also aimed towards business customers.
- February 1982. Jobs features on the cover of Time Magazine.
- December 1983. Apple III Plus introduced, it even had built in clock!
- January 1984. Apple launches the Macintosh computer with an ad campaign on Super Bowl Sunday directed by Ridley Scott.
- 1985. Jobs resigns from Apple and takes five Apple employees with him and founds NeXt to develop computer software and hardware. In the same year he buys the computer division of LucasFilm from George Lucas
which was later renamed Pixar.
- 1989. NeXT launches the $6.500 NeXTcube which fails in the marketplace.
- 1991. Apple releases the Powerbook 100 Series of laptop.
- 1996. Apple acquires NeXT. Computers and Jobs returns bringing with him a new corporate philosophy of recognisable products and simple design.
- 1997. Jobs becomes interim CEO and chairman of Apple Computer Inc.
- May 1998. Jobs unveils Apple's revolutionary iMac. In the same year the Powerbook G3 is released.
- July 1999. iBook is released.
- 2000. Jobs becomes permanent CEO of Apple. Powerbook G4 released.
- October 2001. The first iPod is released and Apple make their foray into consumer electronics and Apple drop "Computer" from their name.
- 2002. iMac G4 released.
- 2003. Apple opens the online iTunes Music Store in the U.S. In the same year, the store hits 25 million downloads.
- 2004. imac G5 and iPod Mini is released, Steve is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
- 2005. iPod Nano released. iTunes downloads top 500 million. Steve gives inspirational Commencement speech to Stanford University students.
- 2006. MacBook Pro and Apple TV released.
- 2007. The first iPhone is released, one of the first smartphones without a keyboard.
- 2008. iPhone 3G and Macbook Air released.
- 2009. iPhone 3GS released.
- 2010. Jobs unveils the much-anticipated iPod touch-screen tablet. Apple's second-generation Apple TV and the iPhone 4.
- 2011. Apple release the iPad 2, iCloud and iPhone 4S. Steve delivers his last ever keynote speech before stepping down as Apple CEO.