The Evolution of Customer Service
Phone (pre 1995) - Email (1996-2000) - Web (2001-2004) - Chat (2005-2007) -
- Phone support (pre 1995): "Hold the phone. 45% of consumers initiated a purchase over the phone in the last year, but 70% of those consumer initiated phone orders were placed on hold" - On Hold Messaging Association.
- Email support (1996-2000): "Growing conversations. The number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase from over 3.9 billion accounts in 2013 to over 4.9 billion by year-end 2017" - Radicati Group.
- Web self-service (2001-2004): "At a loss for words. 56% of consumers cited lack of online information about products or services as their reason for abandoning a website" - LivePerson.
- Web channels (2005-2007): "Satisfaction rates for chat are only superseded by those for voice (63% rating for chat, 69% for voice)" - LivePerson.
- Mobile (2008-2009): "Got an app for that? 72% of consumers have a more positive view of a company if it provides a mobile customer service app" - Nuance.
- Social customer service (2010+): "Voices carry. 71% of consumers who experience a quick and effective brand response on social media are likely to recommend that brand to others, compared to just 19% of customers that do not
receive a response" - NM Incite.
Parature | Infographic: Parature Customer Service Software | www.parature.com.