The Hidden Value Of Long Tail SEO
Long tail SEO is a white-hat SEO process that involves targeting less competitive, highly specific search terms (a.k.a. long tail keywords). Since of all search queries are for long tail terms, there is incredible value in taking control of
What is Long Tail SEO?
- Search demand curve (Keys: Y-axis - number of monthly searches; X-axis - number of keywords): 1) Long Tail (70% of search traffic); 2) Chunky middle (11.5% of search traffic); 3) Fat head (18.5% of search traffic): Top 10K
keywords; Top 1K keywords; Top 500 keywords; Top 100 keywords.
- Keyword characteristics (Keys: Search volume; Ranking potential) (Scale: 1-10): 1) Long Tail keywords (>2 words) (specific): Search volume (min) ~ 1; Search volume (max) ~ 3.5; Ranking potential (min) ~ 2; Ranking potential
(max) ~ 10; 2) Head keywords (1-2 words) (generic): Search volume (min) ~ 9; Search volume (max) ~ 10; Ranking potential (min) ~ 2; Ranking potential (max) ~ 3.
- Ranking potential & conversion rates: 1) Pages optimized for long-tail keywords move up 11 positions on average, compared to just 5 positions for head keywords; 2) Conversion rates for long-tail keywords are 2.5 times higher
than for head keywords.
- Click-through rate (Keys: 3 words long tai; 4 words long tail; 5 words long tail) (flowchart): Click-through rates increase as keywords become more specific. CTRs for positions 1-10. Long tail queries (3,4,5 words).
- Add new content on a consistent schedule: 1) Publish one targeted article or blog post for each underperforming keyword of at 400 words in length; 2) For best results, set a publishing schedule and stick to it.Quality always
trumps quantity; it is better to produce 2 high-quality posts per month than 10 low-quality posts.
- Use a variety of long tail keywords: 1) Search engines love sites that target a diverse set of keywords. Fortunately, there are plenty of longtail keywords to choose from! There are many sources for long tail keywords, but
the best are those that you mine from your own search traffic.
- Speak - spread the word: 1) Build a social media presence: Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube are all wildly popular places. The key is finding where your audience hangs out; 2) Generate press releases: Press releases are
still a great way to gain exposure (and links) when you have a newsworthy announcement to share; 3) Participate in online communities: Engaging with people in your audience in public forums is a great way to establish yourself as
an authority figure.
HitTail: HitTail is a long tail keyword tool that analyzes your website's visitor stream and provides you with a simple, actionable list of precisely which keywords you should be targeting to dramatically grow your organic search
traffic | Sources: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/illustrating-the-long-tail; http://www.portent.com/blog/seo/long-tail/seo-101-defined.htm; http://www.conductor.com/resource-center/research/long-tail-search; http://www.seomoz.