The History Of Email
It's email's 40th anniversary!
- 1971: Computer engineer Ray Tomlinson sends the first electronic mail message.
* Note: Tomlinson has since forgotten what the message said...
- 1976: Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first head of state to send an electronic mail message.
- 1978: The first electronically-sent advertisement goes out, over a network of government and university computers.
- 1982: The word "email" is first used.
- 1982: The first ever smiley "emoticon" is invented by Scott Fahlman.
- 1998: The word "spam" is added to the Oxford English Dictionary.
- 1998: Warner Bros. releases You've Got Mail, which tops $250 million at the box office.
- 1997: Microsoft Outlook is released.
- 1997: Microsoft buys Hotmail for about $400 million.
- 1989: Radio man Elwood Edwards records AOL's iconic "Welcome". "File's done", "Goodbye" & "You've Got Mail".
- 1999: A fraudulent email claiming that Bill Gates plans to share his wealth with Internet users begins to circulate. It is forwarded by millions.
- 2001: ReachMail is created, and marketers rejoice! Email deliverability has never been so easy.
- 2003: On an episode of :The Simpsons:, Homer reveals his email address, email@example.com.
- 2003: George W. Bush signs into law the CAN-SPAM Act, the US' first national standards for sending commercial emails.
- 2004: FTC codifies email spam laws.
- 2007: Anti-phishing security protocol DKIM is adopted by the Internet Engineering Task Force.
- 2007: Google makes Gmail available to the public worldwide.
- 2005: SPF, the first technology that verifies email senders' identities, is established.
- 2004: Multimedia emails are introduced after the MMS World Congress in Vienna.
- 2004: LOL and other Internet acronyms are officially recognized in the Oxford English Dictionary.
- 2008: Presidential candidate Barack Obama compiles a database of over 13 million email addresses.
- 2011: The Associated Press Stylebook changes "e-mail" to "e-mail".
ReachMail | ReachMail.com | Sources: 1971, Ray Tomlinson: NPR. "The Man Who Made You Put Away Your Pen", 2009 - 1976, queen; ABC News Online. "Queen Elizabeth sent her first email in 1976", 2006-1998, You've Got
Mail; Box Office Mojo: You've Got Mail - 2007, DKIM: Network World; "Powerful new anti phishing weapon DKIM emerged", 2008-2008; Obama: The New York Times; "Melding Obama;s Web to a YouTube Presidency", 2009.