Mobile Commerce Revolution: Smartphones & Smarter Shoppers
Internet commerce changed how we do business, and now the rapid expansion of mobile is morphing the retail environment again. Thanks to their mobile phones, consumers can get information to help with purchase decisions of
the touch of a button, whether they're shopping online or in-store. Here's what you need to know to reach these new shoppers out those joining their ranks every day.
There are 100s of tools to help you shop on your mobile whenever, wherever:
Ways to shop
- Scan a tag.
- Call a friend.
- View a website.
- Use an app..
Methods to gather information
- Read a review.
- Discuss on social network.
- Make shopping lists.
- Compare different products.
- Collect loyalty points.
- Read more info.
- Join an online chat.
- View store location using maps.
- Look up location specific coupons.
- benefit with others by using group deals.
Forms of payments
- Pay using phone number.
- Buy in store.
- Pay using card on phone.
- Pay online.
Mobile shopping breakdown
- Don't have a mobile phone.
- Don't shop using a mobile.
- Light mobile shoppers. Have a narrow outlook towards mobile with regards to shopping and see their phone primarily as a mini computer.
- Heavy mobile shoppers love their phones, & are really into mobile shopping. They do everything on their phones: share photos, check news, download music & shop.
Shopping habits changing
- World e-commerce sales in 2009: 1) $1.2 billion via mobile; 2) $210 billion online.
- Predicted 2015 world e-commerce sales: 1) $119 billion via mobile; 2) $1.4 billion online.
- Stores with mobile-specific websites. 51% of smartphone users are more likely to purchase from retailers with a mobile-specific website. However, only 4.8% of retailers have a mobile site.
- Groupon. 50% of Groupon's business is expected from mobile in the next two years.
More virtual spending
- Mobile payments for virtual goods (such as video games, computer games, social networking games): 1) 2008 - $1 million; 2) 2009 - $24.8 million.
- Starbucks has seen over 3 million micro: payment transactions.
Use tags to inform
- Half of local searches are done via mobile.
- Tags link to: 1) Detailed info; 2) Reviews; 3) Similar products; 4) Recommended apps; 5) Twitter results; 6) Facebook groups.
- Tags on products means consumers have instant access to a wealth of information, without entering URLs or searching sites from their phones.
Mobile device shoppers
- Men age 30-49 more frequently buy goods on more categories and generally spend more time shopping than their peers.
- iPhone & then Blackberry users spend the most on mobile purchases.
- What sort of goods do shoppers buy on their phones?: 1) Electronics; 2) Clothing; 3) Shoes; 4) Jewelry; 5) Reading material; 6) Movies; 7) Music; 8) Games.
Key features in shopping apps
- Browse products.
- Some day delivery.
- Send gifts.
- View mobile deals.
- In-store event info.
- Photo time for reviews.
- Store locator.
- Responses to questions.
- Check gift card.
- Create wish lists.
- Product previews.
Microsoft Tag - Visit us at tag.microsoft.com to learn more | Sources: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/why-mobile-shopping-could-be-as-big-as-online-shoppinh; http://www.cnbc.com/id/35333154/Mobile_Online_Shopping_To_
Double_In_2010; http://www.mobilemarketingwatch.com/smartphone-app-market-to-be-worth-15b-by-2013-already-2-2b-in-first-half-of-10-8749; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUcq_E41-s&feature=player_embedded;
http://connect.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/01/why-mobile-shopping-could-be-as-big-as-online-shopping/1; http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/2990; http://mashable.com/2011/03/31/shoppers-\
mobile-phones; http://www.internetretailing.net/2011/04/mobile-advertising-spending-booms-thanks-to-smartphones-but-consumers-fail-to-act-on-them; http://www.slideshare.net/LeoBurneffWorldwide/marketing-to-the-mobile-
shoppers; http://www.abiresearch.com/press/1605-Shopping+by+Mobile+Will+Grow+to+$119+Billion+in+2015; http://www.cnbc.com/id/35443154/Mobile_Shopping_To_Double_In_2010.