Text Messaging: A Timeline Of How 160 Characters Changed The Way We Communicate
- 1992. December 3. First text message sent from Neil Papworth's computer to richard Jarvis's mobile phone. The message was "Merry Christmas".
- 1993. This year Nokia made the first mobile phone, which allowed customers to send text messages to each other.
- 1995. This year Americans sent on average only 0.4 text messages per month.
- 1995. December 10. T9, which stands for "Text on 9 Keys was invented". T9 is a predictive text technology for mobile devices.
- 1997. First mobile phone that featured a full keyboard for typing text messages was the Nokia 9000i. communicator, which was released this year.
- 1999. First year that text messages could be sent between different operator.s
- 2000. This year Americans sent on average 35 text messages per month.
- 2003. Short codes were introduced in the U.S. during this year. Short codes are 5-6 digit phone numbers used for text message marketing campaigns.
- 2003. More than 7.5 million American Idol related text messages were sent by AT&T Wireless customers throughout the season.
- 2005. Americans on average paid 10 cents per text message during this year.
- 2007. December. Americans for the first time in history send/receive more text messages per month than phone calls at 218 per month, compared to 213 phone calls.
- 2008. Sprint was the first operator to raise their fees to 20 cents per text message, followed by other operators thereafter.
- 2008. February 1. First text to donate campaign launched for United Way. The campaign was promoted in a 10 second commercial during Super Bowl XLII.
- 2008. August 23. Then Senator Obama sends text message to supporters announcing his Vice Presidential running mate.
- 2009. August 7. First 911 center to support text messages was launched in Black Hawk county, Iowa.
- 2010. January 12. American Red Cross launches text to donate campaign for Haiti. The campaign has raised more than $10 million in donations to date.
- 2010. August 23. Melissa Thompson, a 27-year-old British woman smashed the Guinness World record for the fastest text message ever. 25.94 seconds to type 160-character phrase on a Samsung Galaxy S.
- 2010. September 14. Ohio native Andrew Acklin breaks Deepak Sharma's record of 182.689 text messages in a month set in 2005, by sending and receiving 200.052 text messages.
- 2010. October 12. Brett favre apologizes for lewd text messages he sent to a female reporter.
- 2011. More than 8 trillion text messages are expected to be sent this year, 1.5 trillion in the U.S. alone.
- 2011. This year, Americans sent 357 text messages per month.
- 2011. The common text message acronym LOL (Laugh Out Loud) was added to the Oxford Dictionary.
- 2011. Text messaging has generated$585 billion for operators worldwide, and is expected to generate more than $1 trillion over the next seven years.
Powered by: Tatango.
Sources: GSM World Press Release - 2001; AT&T Wireless Press Release - June 4, 2003; Nielsen Wire SMS Text Messaging Tops Mobile Calling - September 22, 2008; The Wall Street Journal Obama
Announcement by text Sends Message About Medium - August 23, 2008; Voice of VOIPSA First 911 Center to support SMS - August 7, 2008; Portio Research Mobile Mobile Messaging Futures - January 2011.