THE FACTS ON HEADACHES
- Headache disorders are the most common neurological disorder, affecting more than 90% of all Americans.
- The US annual direct and indirect economic costs of all headache disorders, including migraines, exceed $31 billion.
- Over 10% of the population has chronic headaches.
- 50% of those with chronic headaches report severe migraine headaches.
- 10 million doctors visits are due to headaches.
- 75% of people have tension headaches.
- It is more frequent for women to have tension headaches than men.
- 12% of people have migraine headaches.
- 17% of females suffer from migraines.
- 5% of males suffer from migraines.
- Three times more women than men suffer from headaches.
- 4% of Americans experience headache pain more than four hours per day for more than 15 days per month.
- This equals more than 12.5 million Americans.
- Headaches interfere with: 1) Sleep; 2) Work; 3) Family life; 4) Sports; 5) Leisure activities.
Some of the more common types of headaches include:
- Tension headache: These are headaches caused by spasm in the muscles around the head and neck, which creates tension on the dural sheath (a thin layer, like cellophane, around your brain).
- Migraine headache: These are associated with the nerves and blood vessels of the head and neck.
- Cervicogenic headache: Nerves in the neck vertebra causing headaches.
- Sinus headache: Congestion in the sinuses causing pressure in the head.
Common causes of headaches
- #1 Tight muscles.
- #2 Stress.
- #3 Prolonged computer work.
- #4 Weak posture.
- #5 Poor ergonomics.
- #6 Studying.
- #7 Car accidents.
- #8 Muscle imbalances.
- #9 Poor motions in the joints.
- #10 Food sensitivities.
- #11 Vascular & neurological.
HosmerChiropractic.com | Hosmer: Chiropractic Health | Sources: http://www.barometricpressureheadache.com/headache-statistics; http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/c/123/156630/facts-commenting; http://www.